27 February 2015

Validation of foreign school certificates

Validation of school certificates obtained abroad is performed by the Chief Education Officer competent for place of residence of the holder of the certificates, or – if the holder has no permanent address in Poland, competent for the location of a school or a higher education institution where the certificate will be presented. Contact with the competent Education Office in order to determine details of the validation procedure in a given office is recommended. Addresses of Education Offices are available on the website http://bip.men.gov.pl/ in the tab subordinate and supervised institutions.

Certificates confirming completion of a year of education are not validated. The school headmaster, in agreement with student’s parent, decided directly about enrolment of a student on the basis of such a certificate. In problematic cases, contact with the Education Office competent for a given school is suggested.

The following certificates are recognised without validation in Poland:

  • IB diplomas (International Baccalaureate)
  • EB diplomas (European Baccalaureate)
  • all certificates and diplomas considered equal to adequate Polish certificates under international bilateral agreements concluded by Poland.

List of existing bilateral agreements on mutual recognition in Poland of certificates and diplomas obtained abroad is available on the website:


in the tab: education recognition, link: legal acts.

The VALIDATION PRECEDURE is governed by the Regulation of the Minister of Education and Science of 6 April 2006 on Validation of School Certificates and Maturity Certificates Obtained Abroad (Dz. U. [Polish Journal of Laws] of 2006 No. 63, item 443).Positive outcome of the validation procedure means the Chief Education Officer issues a certificate confirming recognition of a given foreign certificate as equal to a given Polish certificate.

In all other cases, the Chief Education Officer issues, in accordance with the Code of Administrative Procedure, a decision about refusal to issue a certificate or refusal to institute validation procedure.

A complaint to the Minister of National Education against the decision of the Chief Education Officer may be submitted. The complaint should be submitted to the Chief Education Officer who is obliged to pass it on, along with own opinion, to the Minister of National Education.

The Minister of National Education, upon considering the complaint (in accordance with the Code of Administrative Procedure), upholds the decision of the Education Officer or overrules it recommending renewed consideration of the application for validation.

Contact with the competent Education Office in order to determine details of the validation procedure in a given office is recommended.

If in doubt, please contact the Ministry of National Education, tel. 22 34 74 312.

Validation of diplomas and degrees obtained at foreign higher education institutions is performed by universities. Further related information is available on the website http://www.nauka.gov.pl/mobilnosc-akademicka-i-zawodowa, in the tab: education recognition. Should you have any further questions, please send them to the Ministry of Science and Higher Education to the following address: enic-naric@nauka.gov.pl

Idź do góry